At first I hated the new Winx Club. I’m a veteran Winx-fan, I’ve seen all the episodes in the series (except the Darkness Bloom saga), watched all the movies on YouTube, brought one of the toys, and I know all about the series’ lore. When I heard they were bringing it back I said, “I thought it wasn’t cancelled.”
After doing a bit of Googling I heard of the series special and that they were bingin in people from iCarly. iCARLY! I hate that damn show with a burning passion of a meteorite. Then I heard Keke Palmer would be joining the cast. Nickelodeon was too lazy to rehire the old voice actors, so they ruin my childhood dream with new ones from shows I detest.
So the series special crammed the first season into four specials, excluded my favorite two songs “We Are the Winx” and “It Feels Like Magic,” and the whole thing was horrible. I was saddened. I went to the Twitosphere and saw that almost everyone on Twitter had never heard of Winx Club, which was a shame. They didn’t know the magic that the old voice actresses had bought to the series.
Weeks later, after falling off the Winx-wagon, my little cousin asked me, “Have you been recording the Winx Club?”
I said, “Oops, I forgot about it.”
So you know what I did? I DVDR’ed it after seeing the PV for the next episode.
I watched it and was glad to know they didn’t have those horrible voice actors from the series special. I admit I like these new voice actresses, but they are temporary for the REAL voice actresses that will be coming in when Season 6 starts. I enjoyed watching these episodes, which had the original animation and not that crappy Macromedia Flash animation from the series special.
What I like about this new rendition of my childhood classic is this:
1) Bloom’s new voice. Although I much prefer the original, this new voice sparks the hidden magic of the original series
2) It’s reaching a wider audience, which is wider than what it once was when it was airing on 4Kids TV so many years ago
3) the animation is the original one, which is a plus
4) I like Stormy’s voice in this dub, a tad bit more than the original. Her’s doesn’t sound so generic.
What I hate does outweight what I like:
1) They took out the original theme song and replaced it with “Winx will show you how.” That’s not something I can sing to like I used to do with the original ones. I don’t want a bunch of fairies showing me how to do something, I just want them to power up and save the world like they did in my childhood days. The new theme song intro looks just like the one for the Italian Winx (where it originated). Good lord, if those poor girls in Italy get those type of intros….oh good lord….it’s so flashy and girly….the original was more heroic and femaleish!
2) their Enchantix henshin transformations are much more annoying than their original ones.
3) I still hate some of the voices. I hate that they dumbed down Techna and removed her pretty British voice. The Brits really can do it better……
4) they didn’t TRY to hire an Italian voice actress for Stella and they didn’t try to hire an Asian voice actress for Musa. In the original series, the girls’ really felt like they came from different countries because their voices were so diverse. I also don’t like the voices for the Trix (except Stormy). In the original, Icy sounded like a grown-up badass, but in this new one she sounds like a whiny teenager that got stabbed in the throat at the mall.
5) Since when was Spark called Domino? This new dub is trying too hard to be the Italian dub
6) Since when was Dragon’s Fire called Dragon’s Flame? that takes the majesticness out of it.
Well hey, it’s the people’s fault that the original one was cancelled because they didn’t like it, and now this newer one is worse than the original, but I love it anyways. I expect it to go on and hopefully in the future, Nick will rehire the old voice actresses. I’m just glad that I get to relive my childhood memories, because Winx was the best of them all…..except W.I.T.C.H.
Now Disney needs to work on a remake of W.I.T.C.H., another show that I deeply adored. It was like Winx, but a darker version. It too got cancelled due to a lack of audience (or it ended on it’s own).
UPDATE MAY 2012:
After watching the old one and comparing it to the new one, I like the new voice actresses a little bit more. Feragonda’s newer voice sounds more serious, which is fitting for her role. I am also liking Bloom’s new voice. Knowing that 4Kids cut out a lot of stuff from Winx Club, it makes me interested in the original Italian version to see what they excluded.